Emergency Info While Traveling

'On the Spot' Emergency Procedure Kit is available at the KodoskyProgramCenter and available to all Girl Scout travelers. Kits include emergency contact cards, a Girl Scout Activity Insurance form and information brochure, and the council’s information sheet on handling emergencies. 

Minor Illness or Accident

In the event of minor illness:

  • Call a parent to come for the child.
  • Do not leave a child unattended.
  • If an adult takes a girl home, assure that someone is at the girl's residence to care for her.

In the event of minor accident:

  • Immediately give First Aid treatment, transport to an emergency room or doctor’s office if necessary and telephone parent.
  • Ask the parent to come to the site of treatment. If parent(s) cannot be reached, call the person designated to act in an emergency.
  • Continue to try to reach the parent(s) so they may assume responsibility for medical decisions. Remain with the child until parent is present.

Record in writing:

  • Conditions existing at the time of the accident; names and addresses of witnesses; order of events following the accident; and any medical attention, opinion or instructions received from parents.
  • Notify the council office as soon as possible within 24 hours.
  • Submit completed insurance forms and a copy of the above record to the council office.

Serious Accident, Emergency or Fatality

  • Assess scene safety and procede once safety is ensured.
  • Attend to the injured by checking for consciousness, breathing, signs of circulation and bleeding.
  • Secure doctor, ambulance, police or clergy as appropriate.This may include calling 911.
  • In the event of a fatality or serious accident, always notify the police.
  • Provide all possible care for the sick or injured.
  • Retain a responsible adult at the scene of the accident. See that no disturbance of victim(s) or surroundings is permitted until the police have assumed authority.
  • Ensure the safety of any children at the scene and initiate crowd control.
  • Call Girl Scouts of Central Texas
    Emergency Answering Service: 512-703-8262
  • Please supply the answering service with the following:
    • State the emergency and degree of severity
    • Your name
    • Phone number at location where you can be called right back
    • Remain at phone until contacted by council representative
    • Report as much information as possible to the council representative, including name(s) of victim(s) and parent emergency phone numbers
    • The council representative will contact the parent/guardian.
  • DO NOT make any statements orally, or in writing, which could be interpreted either as an assumption or rejection of responsibility for the accident.
  • Remember, notification of kin is the responsibility of the designated council spokesperson.
  • Prepare a written report of the occurrence (see “Record in Writing” above) and participate in other follow-up if asked.

Property Emergencies

In the event of property emergencies (i.e., plumbing, electrical, vandalism, etc.), contact the appropriate Site Manager or call the council’s Emergency Answering Service at 512-703-8262 and provide the following:

  • State your name and type of emergency and degree of severity.
  • Provide phone number of location where you can be called right back.

Child Abuse and Neglect

Any volunteer who has cause to believe that child abuse or neglect has occurred is responsible for reporting the matter to the appropriate authorities. Volunteers should also ensure that the situation is contained and that the safety of girls is not compromised.